Monday, December 8, 2014

Apple Pie in a Brown Paper Bag

When my mom told me you could cook an apple pie in a brown paper bag I looked at her like she way crazy. I had never heard of this method and putting a paper bag in the oven seemed like a recipe for disaster. Of course mom's are always right and she sure was. You can in fact cook an apple pie in a paper bag and it is delicious. I had to have my mom show me her ways and ever since this apple pie has become one of my favorite pies! Served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and oh my word... melt in your mouth! 

I just love hand written recipe cards passed down from family! 
Ingredients 
1 unbaked 9" pie crust  
3-4 large apples, sliced 
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp flour 
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tbs lemon juice
Mix all of the ingredients and place in your unbaked pie crust. 

Topping: 
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour 
1 stick butter, chopped into sugar and flour

Sprinkle mixture on top of pie and put pie in a brown paper bag. Clip bag together with paperclips. Bake 1 hour at 350. Don't open the bag until it's done!! The last 15 minutes you can cut a whole in the top of the bag and place back in oven to brown the top. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy! 





1 comment:

  1. Any homemade apple pie is a winner in my books. This looks delicious girl!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Thoughts(: