Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Take a Moment and Just Be

I can say I am finally getting adjusted to my new life of being an intern in a second grade class! While I absolutely love everything about this semester, it has been a big adjustment schedule wise. My day goes a little something like: up at 5:30, school, babysitting, home finally around 7pm where I need to eat, write lesson plans, get ready for tomorrow, and attempt to relax before I hit the bed by 10:30. Then there are also the occasional ZTA meetings, Teaching Fellow meetings, after school activities, and various commitments. With my days being so busy there are changes I've had to make to keep myself 1. healthy and 2. sane. I know many of you are busy bee's as well so I want to share the little things that have been working for me!

Being around seven year olds all day is fabulous. Seriously! The upside- you can't believe the amount of hugs you receive in a day. The downfall- germs. Lots of germs. I don't know about you, but I do NOT have time to get sick. That is just not an option for me right now. While I can't fight fate I can take steps to ensure I stay healthy!

The little things I do to stay healthy

I take a daily vitamin
I try to get 7-8 hours of sleep a night
I try to eat healthier than I used to
I wash my hands all the time. (seriously, every hour or so throughout the day!)

The little things I do to stay sane

Don't procrastinate!
My weekly lesson plans are not due until Sunday but I make a point to have them in by the time I leave school on Friday. My week days are busy enough! The weekend is time to relax.

I wake up 15-20 minutes before I have to.
I like to have that little bit of extra time in the morning to relax, check my email and possibly read a blog or two. This is my me time needed to start my day!

Think about other stuff
As tempting as it is for my roommate and I to only talk about our internships in the evening we try to make a point to talk about other stuff as well.

Just let it be..
Last semester it was rare you would find a day where my bed wasn't made and dirty dishes were in the sink. This took some adjusting for me this semester but I've realized if my bed doesn't get made every single morning it's okay.. those dishes will get washed. Our house doesn't have to be perfect by 6:30 am!


4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more it is my Senior year and I have never been so busy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quote by H. Jackson Brown! I saved it in my computer file of inspirational phrases. I love your blog! Now following!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing! I always get stressed out and need to manage it better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhh Amanda... I feel this same way! This week has just been a real eye-opener for me and I have realized how much I need to get done on the weekends ahead of time.. and really on the weeknights! I have just be so tired and it is taking some adjusting for me to get up so early and go to bed at 10. I can't wait for lunch on Saturday!! Hope your Friday is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Thoughts(: