As our one year wedding anniversary approaches (August 8th!!!!) and my sisters wedding gets closer I can't help but think back to all of the fun pre wedding activities. Wedding planning, showers, parties and of course- completing our wedding registry! I put a lot of thought into our registry, making sure to register for things I knew would get a lot of use for our lifestyle and make sure I covered all the bases. Now that I have put all of our gifts to use for a (almost) full year I wanted to share some of my favorite items that have made life easier and cooking more fun! I didn't list things like place settings, linens and towels because those are oh so important but a given. Here are a few of my favorite items that you may or may not have thought about.
1. A good vacuum- This is one of those things where you think your parents old hammy down vacuum is doing just fine UNTIL one day when you get a new one and realize just what you were missing out on. I LOVE our Shark vacuum that has a clear canister. I am able to empty it after each use and am always AMAZED at all that it picked up. It's instant gratification!
2. A knife set- This was one of the more pricey items on our list but it is something that gets daily use. If you cook a lot you will be amazed in the difference a good knife makes. If well taken care of they should also last a lifetime!
3. Steamer- I had no idea how nice a steamer was going to be until we received ours. It heats up quickly and can be used on anything, from delicate shirts to shower curtains. I've even steamed my bed skirt before. This small handheld steamer we have is so easy to use. This is one of those things that once you get it, you wonder how you ever lived without.
4. Kitchen Aid- This is an item I debated on because of the price tag but ended up getting with gift cards and am SO glad I did. If you cook/bake a decent amount then I think you will be surprised how handy this piece of equipment can be! We chose a dark grey and love the way it looks on our counter. It's nice not to have to dig out a handheld mixer from the cabinets every time. This one is always on our counter ready to go. One last thing about the Kitchen Aid is it's something that you might not ever purchase yourself so during your wedding is the opportune time to go ahead and splurge. You may have a family member looking for an extra nice gift to give or be able to purchase yourself with gift cards after the wedding- most places offer discounts on remaining registry items after the big day.
5. Pyrex baking dish WITH lids- the small addition of having lids that fit your Pyrex dishes makes a HUGE difference. No more fighting with saran wrap and aluminum foil. These lids fit perfect and snap right on. They sell Pyrex now that comes with the lids and are so inexpensive. This seriously has been one the nicest things to have! You can shop them here.
6. Mattress Pad- another item you didn't know you couldn't live without until you get one. A simple item that can make a huge difference in a good nights sleep! We also invested in nice pillows which has made night time that much sweeter.
7. A Dutch oven- I'll be honest and tell you this is the one item I did not get but is on my wish list. I have huge regret not adding this to my registry! I think a dutch oven makes a huge impact with soups/stews and braised meats!
8. A Salad Spinner- One last simple, inexpensive item that makes ALL the difference if you buy a lot of lettuce. Being able to wash and then spin your lettuce to get rid of the extra moisture will make your lettuce last much longer. It is also a great way to store your lettuce. Just wash, spin, dump the water (you will be amazed how much water comes off your lettuce!) and then store the container in the fridge! Easy and will save you money by not wasting unused lettuce!
What is your favorite wedding gift you received or registered for?