Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Chicken Soup

Yesterday I told you about our New Years meal of chicken tacos. We ended up cooking WAY too much chicken and rice. This girl's on a budget and I knew I didn't want to waste all the leftovers so I decided to make a Mexican/Chicken tortilla soup. One of my go to dishes at my local Mexican restaurant is their chicken soup so I knew I wanted to take some of the same ingredients they use and modify a chicken tortilla soup recipe I already had. The final product was a hit! I ended up making two pots of it to freeze for later. 



Ingredients
2 cups shredded chicken (see how I cooked the chicken here) 
1 32oz box of chicken broth (add more if you like a lot of broth)
1 yellow onion diced
1 green bell pepper diced
2 chopped carrots
2 cups mexican rice
1 can diced tomatoes 
large handful of cilantro chopped 
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1 lime (optional) 
1 avocado (optional) 

dice the vegetables 

Combine all ingredients into the pot 

Prep your chicken, rice and vegetables then simply dump all ingredients into a pot and simmer for 30 minutes. Before serving squeeze lime juice on top with sliced avocado. 



I love having soups ready for the colder months. This one has become a new favorite! 

2 comments:

  1. This looks great! I definitely need to get better about turning leftovers into a new and different meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious and perfect for the cold weather! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Thoughts(: