Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Derby Party

I have never been to the well known Kentucky Derby. I am determined to make it one day but in the mean time I will have to settle for Derby parties and dreaming. What I love about this special first Saturday of May are all of the traditions, fashion, food, and history. Any event that requires a big hat has my full attention!


Growing up I can remember a neighbor of mine throwing a Derby party every year. Too young to attend, I would sit in my sunroom and watch all the neighbors walk over. Now that I am older I can partake in the celebration as well. Here are 5 ideas to make a Derby party complete.

1. The rose is the race's official flower. Each year a garland of over 400 roses are sewn into green satin. Roses are the most appropriate flower to have at your party. If this isn't gorgeous I don't know what is.  


2. When the horses make their way to the starting gate "My Old Kentucky Home" is played. It would be quite festive to play the song at this time for everyone to hear.

3. Beyond a shaddow of a doubt you must serve the southern drink: Mint Julep. No questions about it, this has to happen! The classic cup is served in a silver julep cup. Here is a receipe:

Place mint leaves and Mint Simple Syrup in a chilled julep cup.
Gently press leaves against cup with back of spoon to release flavors.
Pack cup tightly with crushed ice; pour bourbon over ice.
Insert straw, place mint sprig directly next to straw, and serve immediately.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.


4. How fun would this Derby Cheese Hat be? Via Southern Living


5. Since the actual race last no more than two minutes
having a few games prepared would be a good idea. A hat contest and
cornhole are always winners.

What are your Kentucky Derby plans?

2 comments:

  1. I want to go to the Kentucky Derby so badly! I love that cheese hat--too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was younger I went to a Kentucky Derby party with my family that had a hat contest. If you saw my Peter Cottontail post with the Easter bonnets my dad made, you'll know that my hat won!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Thoughts(: