Thursday, January 30, 2014

J's Mexican Bean Burgers and Sweet Potato Fries

Last weekend Justin made homemade Mexican bean burgers with sweet potato fries for dinner one night. How lucky am I to date a guy who loves to cook? I think I'll keep him around (; They turned out to be absolutely delicious and fit right into my plant based whole foods diet. He has made bean burgers in the past, but these were different in that they have a Mexican kick. I even picked up some of the supplies to make them myself this upcoming week! 

J's Mexican Bean Burger

Ingredients 
1 can drained pinto beans 
1 egg or you can substitute the egg for1 tablespoon of flax seed mixed with 3 tablespoons of water. Let sit for 5 mins
1/2 cup sautéed pepper 
1/2 cup sautéed onion  
Minced garlic to taste 
1 packet taco seasoning 
2 cups salsa 
1 1/2 cup bread crumbs 

Start by mushing 1 can of drained pinto beans. (You can use any type of beans. I plan on using black beans to make mine) 


Mix mushed beans, sautéed peppers and onion, garlic, bread crumbs, salsa and taco seasoning and egg (or flax seed/water) together 




Form patties and cook in skillet on medium heat until firm. Serve with whole wheat buns and your favorite burger toppings! 



 Sweet potato fries were the perfect side item to our Mexican Bean Burgers. I have always loved sweet potato fries more than normal french fries! They are also super simple. I would actually start these before the burgers as they take a while to slice/bake.

Slice 2 sweet potatoes. 

Toss sweet potatoes with just enough olive oil to lightly coat. Add paprika, salt and pepper. Align on baking dish (try to spread them out. We probably should have used a larger pan) 

Bake until sweet potatoes are tender and browned. About 30 minutes, turning occasionally. 

Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. Yummmm! I will have to remember this meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy! I'm going to have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Thoughts(: